Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Perhaps I'm getting older or just bored with change, but is there an
> alternative to grub2 that has the simplicity of grub-legacy, for more
> complex than your average Ubuntu-like user requirements?

>From my research, nothing that is gaining ground. Grub2 is being supported
even my the new myriad of arm64 systems, besides x86 and most other
arches.  EFI (which is far worst imho)... [1]

> I have used grub2 on some Ubuntu and Kubuntu installations which went
> sideways   on non-vanilla set ups.  I wasted some hours straightening
> them up and started  thinking nostalgically of grub-legacy which I still
> run on my gentoo systems.
> Do I have any other option besides lilo which I left for grub many
> years ago?

I think grub2 will get better as issues are solved and documented,
(gentoo wiki ?). I keep mulitple copies of kernels, .configs and system
files, all in /boot/ just for grins (and recovery efforts).

What we need is some "dumbed_down" documents for the over 50 crowd,
because, like you, I'm tired of fixing things that were solved,
decades ago.

Closely intertwined with grub2 issues are UUIDs, (U)EFI, fstab stratigies,
gpt formating, drives over 2T and file systems; these new bios can
can be issues to how these mechanisms interact. For now, I only use
grub2 with all of these other things being of legacy in nature. My
next goal is the add gpt formatting and BTRFS (which is rapidly stabalizing
imho).  After all of that, I'll try some 4-gig (4+?) gig drives
as seting those up most aggressively, is still a black-art, imho.

PS, your not alone is frustration and less than ideal (er_shit)
configuration experiences.....

hth,
James

[1] http://askubuntu.com/questions/313627/uefi-bootloader-alternative-to-grub