Am 26.01.2014 17:52, schrieb James:
> Ok,
>
> So, as a old fart, I got tired of KDE and never really liked gnome.
> I have found new life in LXDE; spartan, but learning and document
> how things work on gentoo, is hopefully something I have to only
> do once.
>
> I have my lxde/openbox environment mostly setup. One thing I miss
> is feature rich tabbed terminal session. On my old rig,
> the tabs where customizable to show current dir or rename manually.
> When I would "ssh" into a remote system, the IP address was prominently
> displayed in the tab header; essential for managing tons of remote
> devices.
>
> Im currently I launch "lxterminal" from my
> ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart file. I think I need to upgrade the
> lxterminal with another feature
> rich, multitab terminal session. lxterminals does not remember or keep
> my tabs, or the contents (working dir) either.
>

> One last problem is my lxtermnal session do not remember their previous
> screen location or size (geometry) so they just all pop up as the
> default size in the middle of the screen. I tend to think that lxde/openbox
> has a config file somewhere to set the screen locations/sizes but
> it may also be related to the features offered by the "*xterm" ?
>
> discussion and suggestions are most welcome.
>
> One note of motivation: I now have a computational resource, I have not
> experienced in a very long time. RAM.  I canrun mulitple web browsers
> with dozens of windows open and dozens of resource hungry applications
> and databases, with tons of ram (~50%) to spare, all because I dumped
> KDE. If you run KDE, you do not realize what a pig it has become, until
> to go back to one of these feature rich, user controlled
> desktop/workstations. I would encourage any and all without tons of
> free ram, to ditch KDE (dunno about gnome).......
>

> sincerely,
> James

you know - I don't give a rat's ass about 'pig' or not, because:
I have enough ram. Ram is cheap. 16gb of DDR 1600 ECC costs what? 160€?
Cheap.
zfs eats so much, the amount KDE is using is negligible.

At the moment I run one firefox instance with 29 flash heavy windows
3 instances of konqueror with douzends of tabs.
thunderbird.
two hungry java apps.
assorted crap.

11GB used.

But the big 'offender' seems to be: zfs.