On 07/15/2014 06:38 PM, Gmail wrote:
> My /usr partition in on the / partition.
>
> I just use initrd, i've compiled kernel with genkernel.
>
> I'm trying to look row for row if there's some diff.
>

> Il 15/07/2014 17:34, Alexander Kapshuk ha scritto:
>> On 07/14/2014 05:18 PM, Gmail wrote:
>>> Hi, i've upgraded kernel from 3.12.13 to 3.12.20.
>>> I've make a oldconfig as usual, but with new kernel the boot blocks
>>> at the begining to the ramdisk loading.
>>> I've tried with other 3.12.2x with the same negative results.
>>> I use grub2 with systemd.
>>>
>> Is your '/usr' partition housed on a filesystem of its own, or does
>> it reside on the '/' partition?
>>
>> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Initramfs/HOWTO
>> "For systems where all necessary files and tools reside on the same
>> file system, the |init| application can perfectly control the further
>> boot process. But when multiple file systems are defined (or more
>> exotic installations are done), this might become a bit more tricky:
>>
>>   * When the /usr partition is on a separate file system, tools and
>>     drivers that have files stored within /usr cannot be used unless
>>     /usr is available. If those tools are needed to make /usr
>>     available, then we cannot boot up the system.
>>
>>   * If the root file system is encrypted, then the Linux kernel will
>>     not be able to find the |init| application, resulting in an
>>     unbootable system.
>>
>> The solution for this problem has since long been to use an /initrd/
>> (initial root device)."
>>
>> Did you run a diff on your 3.12.13/.config and 3.12.13/.config, to
>> make sure you didn't overlook anything to do with the systemd-related
>> config options?

Did the output you got when generating 'grub.cfg' look similar to this?
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?style=printable&full=1#genkernel

Code Listing 2.3: Generating GRUB2 configuration

# grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.12.20-gentoo
Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-3.12.20-gentoo
done

The output of the command must mention that at least one Linux image is
found, as those are needed to boot the system. If you use initramfs or
used genkernel to build the kernel, the correct initrd image should be
detected as well. If this is not the case, go to /boot and check the
contents using the ls command. If the files are indeed missing, go back
to the kernel configuration and installation instructions.