Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:

> > I'm not sure how to put everything dev-java into a set; so that
> > it will updated but not depclean out those packages.

> A set can be simply a list of packages in a file in /etc/portage/sets.

Ok so I created this file (644):
/etc/portage/sets/dev-java

I put a list of file in there, here are a few:
dev-java/log4j
dev-java/xpp2
dev-java/xpp3
dev-java/jaxme
java-virtuals/stax-api
<snip>

I tried all sorts of --depclean  syntax variants but it did not protect the
files listed in the file from removal. I modified my make.conf like so:

EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--exclude gentoo-sources @dev-java "

Now every rendition of depclean usage just wants to remove these files.
It feels like there is a working mechanism here, but I'm struggling
to find the exact method to protect these files from depclean, not identify
them form deep cleansing. What am I missing?

James