I plan to install a fresh gentoo linux in parallel to an existing SLES
10 server.

The server runs with /boot and / on 2 raid1 devices, there is a large
RAID6 array building the PV for several logical volumes with data on it.

The idea is to have the server booted from live media (chroot does not
work as the current kernel of SLES is too old [1] ) ... install the new
gentoo-root into a new LV, set up dracut for an LVM-based root and place
the new kernel and initrd into the existing /boot (with old grub currently).

Should/could work, right?

The extra kick (again): the server is ~600 km away from me ;-)

I should keep up SLES as fallback as long as I got everything up and
running in gentoo. The server is doing backups to a tape library and
monitoring stuff via nagios ... the new feature to be enabled is KVM
virtualization (yes, the CPU is supporting this).

I have access via some "KVM over IP" so I can access the server console
directly in case (choice of boot option, repairing stuff).

Any particular tips for me?

The grub installed is grub-0.97-16.27.1 (SLES-release).
Is that expected to work with recent kernels/initrds? I assume.

I won't touch partitions/RAIDs/bootloader for now ... these things might
follow later when gentoo is working on the server.

Thanks, Stefan

[1] Linux version 2.6.16.60-0.66.1-smp