On Thursday, April 23, 2015 07:21:12 PM Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> On 23.04.2015 18:57, james wrote:
> > Stefan G. Weichinger <lists <at> xunil.at> writes:
> >>
> >> first try started booting but couldn't mount rootfs ... and now the box
> >> hangs there and I can't press the power button (only PS/2 attached
> >> keyboard/mouse)
> >>
> >> got to wait for the folks there to come to work tmrw
> >
> > There are methods to get the console terminal session, remotely.
> > One, is called "netconsole" [1]. I use to use this sort of thing
> > decades ago. How it is currently supported and the associated codes
> > (ssh) to use it remotely, I have not kept up with. Some headless embedded
> > system still use this sort of thing; with holes punched in the
> > routers/firewalls.....
> >
> > I've also heard of folks setting up a serial console over serial-2-usb
> > converter, like ftdi, and then making a terminal session connection
> > form a remote cell phone to another cell phone, to tunnel an ascii
> > terminal session. I've never done this, but I'd be really curious how
> > somebody makes that sort of 9600 baud terminal connection to a remote
> > router or server, via a serial/console port.... using cell phones
> > as modems.
>
> Thanks for the hint but for now I have to wait.
>
> When I think about I have to add several kernel-options to menu.lst:
>
> dracut has to assemble /dev/md3 at first (this is the single PV in the
> VG VG01)
>
> and /dev/VG01/genroot then is the filesystem with the new gentoo-rootfs
>
> I only added stuff like rd.md=1 etc ... I think I got the assembling
> wrong. And maybe even the root= option.

This is one of the reasons why I have given up on genkernel and dracut for
initramfs creation and now simply build my own and have it integrated into the
kernel:
$ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep INITRAMFS_SOURCE
CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE="/usr/src/initramfs/config"

If you're interested I will send you the required files.

> We will see tmrw if I get in early from other jobs.

Good luck :)

--
Joost