On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 03:13:34PM -0400, Alec Ten Harmsel wrote

> New software could be:
>
> * more efficient
> * technically better (i.e. GPT is technically better than MBR)
> * have new features that you don't think you need but come in handy
>
> If your system works, why do you update it? Unless you actively need
> the update, you're just wasting cycles.

  Security fixes.  Unfortunately, the security-fixed version depends on
updated libraries, which depend on other updated libraries, etc, etc.

> See above. Also, "teh shiney" is a valid reason. This is how software
> (and everything in general) moves forward. Couple examples:
>
> * linux: The very definition of "teh shiney." Started by a university
>   student for fun. snowballed into the beautiful thingy we all use every
>   day.

  As opposed to "real unix" which cost hundreds/thousands of dollars for
licencing, and was tied to exotic "workstations".  I was a Canadian
federal employee in the 1990's when we got hit with massive budget cuts.
You're a manager in a science department on a reduced budget.  You need
a new "workstation".  Your choices were...

* a $100,000 IBM RX1000(sp?) "workstation", plus a $5,000/year AIX
  software licence

* a loaded Compaq for $5,000 and free linux, and you can accomplish the
  same FORTRAN number-crunching

  And how many home hobbyists were running "real UNIX" before linux?

> * ruby: Started because Matz could not find a language that was perfect
>   for him. Now it powers loads of websites.

  "New-and-improved" stuff like Ruby gets in via the back door...

  * Some Ruby fanboi, who's in the WebkitGTK upstream, makes Ruby a
    hard-coded dependancy of Webkit.

  * Lennart Poetering sends an email begging the GNOME people to make
    systemd a hard-coded dependancy for GNOME and it happens.

  * Skype now requires Pulseaudio as a hard-coded dependancy

  Three pieces of software that were getting nowhere until they became
hard-coded dependancies of other, more-commonly-used software.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>