On Friday 24 Jul 2015 00:26:01 Neil Bothwick wrote:

> > Oh, I can answer this one. Cause lots of folks have tried the new
> > stuff-age (grub-2, gpt, UUID_names etc etc) and have several borked
> > installs. On my last btrfs (raid one attempt) I still never figured
> > out how to set up the fstab to get it to boot. Dozens of failed
> > attempts. *NOTHING* yielded a simple raid one with btrfs using all the
> > new crap.
> >
> > If it's so easy, just post the explicit steps and quit referring to that
> > arcane ((1980s)) handbook.
>
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2#Partitioning_for_BIOS_with_GPT
>
> That's if you're uning a BIOS system. If you're using UEFI, there's
> nothing special required for GPT, just partition the drive starting at 1
> and going as high as you want. Some new stuff takes some getting used to,
> like GRUB2, systemd or UEFI. GPT does not, it just works - it's simpler
> than the old way as well as being better, which is a refreshing change.

Most reasons for GPT being preferable to MBR were covered, but it is worth
noting that if you have a disk larger than 2TB (with 512-byte sectors) MBR
won't be able to deal with it.  GPT would be your only option.  For smaller
disk sizes MBR has worked fine since 1980, so there should be no immediate
reason to replace it.  However, for a new installation the more reliable and
flexible GPT is IMHO a no brainer.

--
Regards,
Mick