Am Mon, 21 Dec 2015 22:37:38 +0000
schrieb Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com>:

> On Monday 21 Dec 2015 21:43:00 Kai Krakow wrote:
> > Am Mon, 21 Dec 2015 16:25:34 -0500
> >
> > schrieb waltd...@waltdnes.org:
> > > On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 02:06:25PM +0000, James wrote

> > >   In Lennart's dreams... and many peoples' nightmares.
> >
> > Haters gonna hate...
> >
> > If I look at the virtual/service-manager ebuild, openrc probably in
> > the process of being removed from the system set and replaced by
> > this virtual. In that way you can more easily replace openrc with a
> > service manager of your choice.
> >
> > The upgrade path will be straight forward: It doesn't affect your
> > openrc installation at all because through the service-manager deps
> > openrc is still pulled into the system set - simply by the fact
> > that it is installed.
>
> Nevertheless, virtual options to make it easier to use alternatives
> to the current stable version of openrc are not my problem at this
> stage.  I can't get ifplugd to work, unless I start up net.<iface>
> first and I am getting no /var/log/rc.log to see what's gone
> sideways.  Regardless of these problems I am getting warnings on the
> console during boot time as posted initially.

Apparently I cannot help here because I removed openrc from my system
months ago (even install masking /etc/init.d) but I still maintain
systems which run openrc (and, *cough* baselayout-1, you didn't read
that, did you?). Upgrade paths there almost always involved following
"eselect news read new", the hardest ones involved network and device
management services. It's kind of a challenge to do this on a headless,
remote system without needing to physically access the machine. [1]

> Am I alone in experiencing this?  Any ideas for fixing it?  Should I
> post a bug and if so where?  I'm thinking that asking Lennart to fix
> ifplugd so that it works with openrc would be taking it a step too
> far.  :p

Hehe... Hey, this is surprisingly amusing. May I quote that? :-D
Thanks for the smirk.

[1]: Ah well, I cheated a bit: It's virtualized so I had another
channel of console access. ;-)

--
Regards,
Kai