On Monday 21 Dec 2015 23:20:24 Mick wrote:
> On Monday 21 Dec 2015 22:38:21 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On 22/12/2015 00:37, Mick wrote:
> > > Am I alone in experiencing this?  Any ideas for fixing it?  Should I
> > > post a bug and if so where?  I'm thinking that asking Lennart to fix
> > > ifplugd so that it works with openrc would be taking it a step too
> > > far.  :p
> >
> > read the news items for the last 3 months or so.
> >
> > openrc changes, networking and service dependencies have changed
> > somewhat, all well documented in the news items
>
> Thank you Alan, I believe I've read the news item you refer to, but I am
> not sure I understand how or why it applies to two laptops.  The news item
> refers to localmount and netmount which if they cannot be mounted will
> cause problems.  I don't use netmount on these laptops:
>
> # rc-update -s -v | grep mount
>            localmount | boot
>              mount-ro |                        shutdown
>              netmount |
>

> localmount works and I see no failures in mounting my filesystems.  What
> fails repeatably is ifplugd, which no longer starts wired or wireless
> devices.

I got rc.log going.  Attached, in case you can spot something amiss.  Please
note wlan0 NIC was switched off at the time.

--
Regards,
Mick

rc boot logging started at Mon Dec 21 23:21:54 2015

 [ ok ]
 * Autoloaded 1 module(s)
 * Checking local filesystems  ...
root: clean, 258811/673296 files, 1815499/2688871 blocks
boot: clean, 64/12048 files, 42672/48160 blocks
home: clean, 55366/1281120 files, 3053874/5120710 blocks
 [ ok ]
 * Remounting root filesystem read/write ...
 [ ok ]
 * Remounting filesystems ...
 [ ok ]
 * Updating /etc/mtab ...
 * Creating mtab symbolic link
 [ ok ]
 * runscript is deprecated; please use openrc-run instead.
 * Use of the opts variable is deprecated and will be
 * removed in the future.
 * Please use extra_commands, extra_started_commands or extra_stopped_commands.
 * Invalidating stale software suspend images ...
 [ ok ]
 * Activating swap devices ...
 [ ok ]
 * Mounting local filesystems ...
 [ ok ]
 * Configuring kernel parameters ...
* Applying /etc/sysctl.conf ...
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
 [ ok ]
 * Creating user login records ...
 [ ok ]
 * Wiping /tmp directory ...
 [ ok ]
 * runscript is deprecated; please use openrc-run instead.
 * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
 [ ok ]
 * Mounting misc binary format filesystem ...
 [ ok ]
 [ ok ]
 * Setting terminal encoding [UTF-8] ...
 [ ok ]
 * Setting console font [default8x16] ...
 [ ok ]
 * Setting hostname to dell_xps ...
 [ ok ]
 * Setting keyboard mode [UTF-8] ...
 [ ok ]
 [ ok ]
 * Bringing up network interface lo ...
 [ ok ]
 * runscript is deprecated; please use openrc-run instead.
 * Updating microcode ...
 [ ok ]
 * runscript is deprecated; please use openrc-run instead.
 * Bringing up interface lo
 *   Skipping module adsl due to missing program: /usr/sbin/adsl-start /usr/sbin/pppoe-start
 *   Skipping module br2684ctl due to missing program: br2684ctl
 *   Skipping module bridge due to missing program: brctl
 *   Skipping module clip due to missing program: /usr/sbin/atmsigd
 *   Skipping module netplugd due to missing program: /sbin/netplugd
 *   Skipping module ipppd due to missing program: /usr/sbin/ipppd
 *   Skipping module firewalld due to missing program: firewall-cmd
 *   Skipping module dhclient due to missing program: /sbin/dhclient
 *   Skipping module pump due to missing program: /sbin/pump
 *   Loaded modules: apipa arping bonding tuntap ccwgroup ethtool macvlan macchanger macnet ifplugd wpa_supplicant ssidnet iproute2 pppd system vlan dhcpcd ip6rd ip6to4
 *   ifplugd only works on interfaces with a valid MAC address
 *   127.0.0.1/8 ...
 [ ok ]
 *   Adding routes
 *     127.0.0.0/8 via 127.0.0.1 ...
 [ ok ]
 * Activating additional swap space ...
 [ ok ]
 * Setting up tmpfiles.d entries ...
 [ ok ]
 * Initializing random number generator ...
 [ ok ]

rc boot logging stopped at Mon Dec 21 23:21:58 2015

rc default logging started at Mon Dec 21 23:21:58 2015

 * runscript is deprecated; please use openrc-run instead.
 * Checking your configfile (/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf) ...
 [ ok ]
 * Starting syslog-ng ...
 * start-stop-daemon: fopen `/run/syslog-ng.pid': No such file or directory
 * Detaching to start `/usr/sbin/syslog-ng' ...
 [ ok ]
 * runscript is deprecated; please use openrc-run instead.
Arno's Iptables Firewall Script v2.0.1e
Platform: Linux 4.1.12-gentoo x86_64
WARNING: External interface ppp0 does NOT exist (yet?)
Checking/probing Iptables modules:
[snip ...]

Dec 21 23:22:04 All firewall rules applied.
 * runscript is deprecated; please use openrc-run instead.
 * Starting chronyd ...
 * start-stop-daemon: fopen `/run/chronyd.pid': No such file or directory
 * Detaching to start `/usr/sbin/chronyd' ...
 [ ok ]
 * runscript is deprecated; please use openrc-run instead.
 * Starting D-BUS system messagebus ...
 * start-stop-daemon: fopen `/var/run/dbus.pid': No such file or directory
 * Detaching to start `/usr/bin/dbus-daemon' ...
 [ ok ]
 * runscript is deprecated; please use openrc-run instead.
 * Starting ConsoleKit daemon ...
 * start-stop-daemon: fopen `/var/run/ConsoleKit/pid': No such file or directory
 * Detaching to start `/usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon' ...
 [ ok ]
 * runscript is deprecated; please use openrc-run instead.
 * Starting haveged ...
 * start-stop-daemon: fopen `/run/haveged.pid': No such file or directory
 * Detaching to start `/usr/sbin/haveged' ...
 [ ok ]
 * runscript is deprecated; please use openrc-run instead.
 [ ok ]
 [ ok ]
 [ ok ]
 * Initializing sensors ...
 [ ok ]
 * runscript is deprecated; please use openrc-run instead.
 * runscript is deprecated; please use openrc-run instead.
 * Setting up kdm ...
 * start-stop-daemon: fopen `/run/kdm.pid': No such file or directory
 * Detaching to start `/usr/bin/kdm' ...
 [ ok ]
 * runscript is deprecated; please use openrc-run instead.
 * Bringing up interface wlan0
 *   Skipping module adsl due to missing program: /usr/sbin/adsl-start /usr/sbin/pppoe-start
 *   Skipping module br2684ctl due to missing program: br2684ctl
 *   Skipping module bridge due to missing program: brctl
 *   Skipping module clip due to missing program: /usr/sbin/atmsigd
 *   Skipping module netplugd due to missing program: /sbin/netplugd
 *   Skipping module ipppd due to missing program: /usr/sbin/ipppd
 *   Skipping module firewalld due to missing program: firewall-cmd
 *   Skipping module dhclient due to missing program: /sbin/dhclient
 *   Skipping module pump due to missing program: /sbin/pump
 *   Loaded modules: apipa arping bonding tuntap ccwgroup ethtool macvlan macchanger macnet ifplugd wpa_supplicant ssidnet iproute2 pppd system vlan dhcpcd ip6rd ip6to4
 *   Configuring wlan0 for MAC address 70:1A:04:D7:C3:09 ...
 [ ok ]
 *   ifplugd does not work with wireless
 *   Starting wpa_supplicant on wlan0 ...
 *   start-stop-daemon: fopen `/var/run/wpa_supplicant-wlan0.pid': No such file or directory
 *   Detaching to start `/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant' ...
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
rfkill: WLAN hard blocked
 [ ok ]
 *   Starting wpa_cli on wlan0 ...
 *   start-stop-daemon: fopen `/var/run/wpa_cli-wlan0.pid': No such file or directory
 *   Detaching to start `/usr/bin/wpa_cli' ...
 [ ok ]
 *   Backgrounding ... ...
 * WARNING: net.wlan0 has started, but is inactive
 * runscript is deprecated; please use openrc-run instead.
 * Starting smartd ...
 * start-stop-daemon: fopen `/run/smartd.pid': No such file or directory
 * Detaching to start `/usr/sbin/smartd' ...
 [ ok ]
 * runscript is deprecated; please use openrc-run instead.
 * Starting vixie-cron ...
 * start-stop-daemon: fopen `/var/run/cron.pid': No such file or directory
 * Detaching to start `/usr/sbin/cron' ...
 [ ok ]
 * Starting local ...
 *   Executing "/etc/local.d/baselayout1.start" ...
 [ ok ]
 *   Executing "/etc/local.d/set_radeon_power_profile.start" ...
 [ ok ]
 [ ok ]

rc default logging stopped at Mon Dec 21 23:22:12 2015