On Monday 21 Dec 2015 23:49:02 Kai Krakow wrote:
> Am Mon, 21 Dec 2015 23:20:24 +0000
>
> schrieb Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com>:
> > >
> > > read the news items for the last 3 months or so.
> > >
> > > openrc changes, networking and service dependencies have changed
> > > somewhat, all well documented in the news items
> >
> > Thank you Alan, I believe I've read the news item you refer to, but I
> > am not sure I understand how or why it applies to two laptops.  The
> > news item refers to localmount and netmount which if they cannot be
> > mounted will cause problems.  I don't use netmount on these laptops:
> >
> > # rc-update -s -v | grep mount
> >
> >            localmount | boot
> >
> >              mount-ro |                        shutdown
> >              netmount |
> >
> > localmount works and I see no failures in mounting my filesystems.
> > What fails repeatably is ifplugd, which no longer starts wired or
> > wireless devices.
>
> You could try running the service in debug mode (--debug), and look at
> the line starting ifplugd. Check if the parameters look correct, then
> try to fire the same command from command line and check the console
> output for errors.

ifplugd does not have a debug mode, but starting it by hand I see this:

Dec 22 00:38:08 dell_xps ifplugd(eth0)[4982]: ifplugd 0.28 initializing.
Dec 22 00:38:08 dell_xps ifplugd(eth0)[4982]: Using interface eth0
Dec 22 00:38:08 dell_xps ifplugd(eth0)[4982]: Failed to detect plug status of
eth0
Dec 22 00:38:08 dell_xps ifplugd(eth0)[4982]: Exiting.

Ha!  It now assumes that I have an eth0 interface, which I don't.  Hmm ...  I
wonder where it reads this from.

If I start the NIC manually I get:

Dec 22 00:33:52 dell_xps kernel: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): enp11s0: link
becomes ready
Dec 22 00:35:31 dell_xps kernel: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): enp11s0: link is
not ready
Dec 22 00:35:30 dell_xps ifplugd(enp11s0)[4293]: ifplugd 0.28 initializing.
Dec 22 00:35:30 dell_xps ifplugd(enp11s0)[4293]: Using interface
enp11s0/00:26:B9:20:B4:9C with driver <tg3> (version: 3.137)
Dec 22 00:35:30 dell_xps ifplugd(enp11s0)[4293]: Using detection mode:
SIOCETHTOOL

> By the way: Is ifplugd still needed? I thought it has been replacable
> by openrcs improved hotplug/coldplug support a long time ago? I
> remember my main purpose of using ifplugd back the days I still used it
> was to decouple the network init latency from the rest of the boot
> process and thus speed it up - in addition to the benefit of not
> starting some services at all when no network was plugged in.

Yes, ifplugd is needed here.  Otherwise removal/insertion of the ethernet
cable does not bring up/down the enp11s0 interface.

> Part of the problem may be that udev handles device renaming and
> bootstrapping now. Maybe ifplugd should be called from udev and no
> longer be a service? In the end, ifplugd is tied to the device name -
> and thus must be part of the device service it is going to manage. And
> I don't think this is how it works in openrc nowadays. Thus it needs
> to move deeper down the layer - which is udev.

Thank you for pointing me in this direction.  If ifplud now thinks that eth0
is the default interface, where might it be deducing this from?  I installed
sys-fs/udev-225 and dev-libs/libgudev-230 at the same time I updated openrc
and this is when the problems started.

I never had an ifplugd.conf in use, perhaps I ought to set up one now?

> Alternatively, NetworkManager is probably also a good replacement then -
> tho I totally understand why you wouldn't want to install it. At least
> you wouldn't have to ask Lennart then for fixing ifplugd in openrc
> if problems arise. ;-)
>
> As a side note: systemd-networkd handles and fits the same purpose as
> ifplugd very well - should you consider to migrate to systemd. *scnr*
>
> It's also not by Lennart, which elevates your problems with asking
> Lennart to fix something. :-)

Thank you for this suggestion, but for reasons covered exhaustively and
exhaustingly in a few past mega-threads I'd rather stay with openrc.

--
Regards,
Mick