On Thursday 26 January 2017 22:42:06 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 26/01/2017 17:35, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > (Sent via webmail while I continue wrestling with KMail...)
> >
> > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote :
> >> Does explicitly emerging gdbus-codegen-2.50.2 then re-running a world
> >> emerge give a different result?
> >
> > peak ~ # emerj -1 =gdbus-codegen-2.50.2
> > Calculating dependencies  ... done!
> >
> > emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "=gdbus-codegen-2.50.2".
> > peak ~ # eix -e gdbus-codegen
> > [I] dev-util/gdbus-codegen
> >
> >      Available versions:  2.44.1 2.46.2 2.48.2 (~)2.50.0 (~)2.50.1
> >      (~)2.50.2 {PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4 python3_5"} Installed
> >      versions:  2.50.2(18:06:24 10/01/17)(PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7
> >      python3_4 -python3_5") Homepage:            http://www.gtk.org/
> >
> > Something's screwed up here. I ran eclean-dist this morning and it listed
> > 90-odd packages with versions not in the database, which was not true.
> > Running eix-update again made no difference.
> >
> > I'm considering building a new system, but amd64 instead of ~amd64. I only
> > set the latter when this was a new box and too many packages needed to be
> > the ~ versions to be manageable otherwise.
> Somethng has gone wrong with your installation of portage or your copy
> of the tree - that "no ebuilds" message is impossible.
>
> It will probably be a cruel task to track down exactly what is wrong, my
> intuition says something in a local cache somewhere. Might be easiest
> just to delete all portage data (*except* /var/db/pkg), download a new
> tree tarball and let portage sort itself out

No clue if it's related or not, but I thought I'd mention this anyway:

This reminds me of a vaguely similar problem I had this week, though luckily
it was time-variant: portage refused to update boost-build because it was
masked, but the reason given was... literally empty.  Immediately retrying it
on my desktop worked, but on my laptop it took a few retries (*no* changes in-
between) for portage to offer the upgrade. (Actually, for $reasons, I wanted
to do --fetchonly first, which took a few retries, then do the upgrade proper,
which took several more tries before the error went away again.)

Naturally, I haven't had any problems since...

Greetings
--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup