On Thursday 26 Jan 2017 22:42:06 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Somethng has gone wrong with your installation of portage or your copy
> of the tree - that "no ebuilds" message is impossible.

Indeed so. So I've now built a fresh system and I'll see how that goes.

> It will probably be a cruel task to track down exactly what is wrong, my
> intuition says something in a local cache somewhere. Might be easiest
> just to delete all portage data (*except* /var/db/pkg), download a new
> tree tarball and let portage sort itself out

[OT]
Recent versions of System Rescue CD have a different web browser, and on my
screen it's unusable because any change of style in the text (bold, italic
etc. or an embedded link) causes overlapping. So I had to revert to an older
version for the installation handbook.
[/OT]

--
Regards