On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 19:17:47 +0000, Mick wrote:

> > Are you running fstrim once in a while like it's recommended?
> > Apparently using 'discard' as an option when mounting is no longer
> > recommended. On my laptops I use a systemd timer to do this. Before
> > that I used anacron (I think it was anacron) which would run missed
> > cronjobs.

> This is surprised me ... I just installed Gentoo on a MacBook and the
> handbook/wiki said to use discard in fstab ... I'm running two PCs like
> this now.  :-/
>
> Is there a URL somewhere recommending otherwise?

man fstrim:

Running fstrim  frequently, or even using mount -o discard, might
negatively affect the lifetime of poor-quality SSD devices. For most
desktop and server systems a sufficient trimming frequency is once a
week. Note that not all devices support a queued trim, so each trim
command incurs a performance penalty on whatever else might be trying to
use the disk at the time.

--
Neil Bothwick

I am Scooby Doo of Borg- Reware roo re arimorated, Raggy!