On 02/24/2017 03:19 PM, Dale wrote:
> the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
[snip]

> Unless you are using portage to install the Brother drivers, I don't
> think that setting will matter.  Emerge takes note of settings there
> when it is about to build packages.  If you install a package by hand,
> outside portage, it won't likely matter.
>
> I might add this for future reference.  Before buying equipment, make
> sure it works with Linux, the distro you use for sure.  Some brands work
> pretty easy but has some models that don't.  HP for example generally
> works however, I've seen certain models that have something unique about
> them that causes them to not work at all or only certain limited
> functions.  In my experience Lexmark is one that I have never got to
> work, any model.  I avoid Lexmark like it's a disease.  Scanners are in
> the same boat as printers, since some have both built in.
>
> I've seen on this list where some seem to have got Brother to work.
> Maybe a search of past threads would shed some light.  They might have
> some tiny snippet that helps get you on the road to success.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Apology for all those annoying questions.

I was able to make it to work:
rpm  -ihv  --nodeps brscan4-0.4.4-1.x86_64.rpm
emerge -avq media-gfx/brother-scan3-bin
brsaneconfig4 -a  name=Brother model=ADC-2400N ip=10.0.0.138

I know, mixing portage with rpm is not a good idea.

Brother ADS-2400N scanner works with USB, Network connection, duplex
works as well.
The mail reason I bought this scanner is that it can be connected to
network and has TWAIN driver (my Fujitsu ScanSnap-junk doesn't have one).

However, following your suggestion I found "ebuild" in overlay for this
scanner, so I reversed the installation and used ebuild:
media-gfx/brother-ads2400n-bin

The only annoying feature in this scanner is that doesn't have "auto
crop" (windows does) auto-feeder does not work.  Scanning small receipts
showing black borders on both sides (snapscan borders are white - easier
to fax, print).
I'll need to ask Brother support if it possible to change the borders to
white background.

--
Thelma