On 02/26/2017 11:42 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:

>>> Is this a feature of the driver or the software you are using? I used
>>> a Brother AIO devices with Gscan2pdf and the ADF worked fine.
>>
>> It might be the feature of the driver (I think).
>> In Windows ADF works with Brother ADS-2400N but produces same black
>> border on the side.  So it must be Brother's driver.
>> Snapscan 1500 - ADF doesn't work with "xsane" but side boarders are
>> white.
>>
>> I was under impression "xsane" was the only scanner software available
>> for Linux.
>
> SANE is the main backend driver software, but xsane is just a front end
> to that which may or may not provide all the features you need.
>
>> I'll try gscan2pdf from overlay and report back.
>
> gscan2pdf is in the main tree now.

I just tried gscan2pdf.
It does not offer auto-feed either; black borders still persist (so it
must be an issue with Brother driver.

In addition, I've noticed big difference is scan size of an image.
Small receipt size: ~4in x 3in saved as pdf B/W in 200dpi resolution:

gscan2pdf produced file size: 66.7kB
xsane produce file size: 12.4kB

So in file size perspective xsane produced much smaller size.
gscan2pdf provide crop tool to cut the borders, xsane does not have any
crop tools.

--
Thelma