Philip Webb wrote:
> I've been following the thread re GCC 5.4.0 & after 'eix-sync' installed it.
> There's a news item warning that there's a new ABI
> & it mb necessary to run 'revdep-rebuild' if it fails with a linking error.
>
> The first pkg I tried to compile with 5.4.0 indeed failed at that point,
> so I followed the advice & ran
> 'revdep-rebuild --library 'llibstdc++.so.6' -- --exclude gcc'.
> It wanted to rebuild  223  pkgs & stalled with an unfound ebuild.
>
> I went back to GCC 4.9.3 & the pkg merged without any problem.
>
> What are other users' experiences using GCC 5.4.0 ?

I just did this myself.  After I switched to the new gcc, I ran
revdep-rebuild.  It had a large list of packages.  I was planning to do
a emerge -e world anyway, so I just did it instead.  No sense doing most
of it twice.  During the rebuild, I had a qt package to fail.  For some
reason, it was stuck on a old qt4 version, even tho a qt5 version was
there and ready to upgrade.  I went ahead and manually upgraded it then
restarted the emerge process again, since it didn't build many packages
before that one failed anyway.  It completed the whole emerge without a
single failure that time.

I will say this, I had to switch to Fluxbox for a while.  KDE got pretty
weird.  I logged out, back in and it was really weird.  I got a few
pop-ups about things not starting correctly etc.  It was unusable at
that point.  I then went to Fluxbox and used it for a while.  Once the
emerge got mostly done, KDE started working correctly again.  As I
suspected, some things just didn't like the difference in the gcc
versions.  No surprise there really.

The only hitch so far, digikam is complaining with this error.

digikam: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libdigikamcore.so.5.5.0:
undefined symbol:

I'm currently rebuilding it after revdep-rebuild said it needed it.  I
suspect it will work once that is done.  I hope so.  I got pics to
download from my camera.

All in all, it got weird for a bit but in the end, it went fairly well.
The one failure I had wasn't related to the gcc upgrade.  I still have
no idea why that one package was stuck on that qt4 version.  For anyone
using KDE and doing this, I'd do it from a console and have a time where
you either have a backup desktop to use or some time to let it sit and
compile and at least get most of KDE re-emerged.  For me at least, KDE
was unusable for a while there.

It's amazing that emerge can compile about 1500 packages and not have a
failure.  Those devs are really doing some good work back there.  :-D

Oh, I skipped palemoon.  I'm not using it and may unmerge it anyway.  I
almost forgot that one.  That is talked about elsewhere in this thread.

Dale

:-)  :-)