Michael Sullivan schreef:
> On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 06:11 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> Please give me a bit of info:
>>
>> lspci
>>
>> Basically I'm concerned that the hardware you have and the modules
>> you are trying to load aren't matching up.

Here is the kernel help for the snd_hda_intel driver:

 Say Y here to include support for Intel "High Definition
  x Audio" (Azalia) motherboard devices.

  x To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the module
  x will be called snd-hda-intel.
  x Symbol: SND_HDA_INTEL [=n]
  x Prompt: Intel HD Audio
  x   Defined at sound/pci/Kconfig:530
  x   Depends on: !M68K && SOUND!=n && PCI && SND
  x   Location:
  x     -> Device Drivers
  x       -> Sound
  x         -> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
  x           -> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (SND [=m])
  x             -> PCI devices
  x   Selects: SND_PCM

As I see it, there is no further selection needed to get this detected,
but are we certain that this driver (which does not really specify which
revisions/versions of the motherboard chipset resources are in fact
supported) works with this exact device:

> 0000:00:1b.0 Class 0403: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW
> (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)

?

Perhaps there is undocumented support not built, I went to Device
Drivers=>I2C support, and found this:

CONFIG_I2C_I801:
  x If you say yes to this option, support will be included for the Intel
  x 801 family of mainboard I2C interfaces.  Specifically, the following
  x versions of the chipset are supported:
  x   82801AA
  x   82801AB
  x   82801BA
  x   82801CA/CAM
  x   82801DB
  x   82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R)
  x   6300ESB
  x   ICH6
  x   ICH7
  x   ESB2
  x This driver can also be built as a module.  If so, the module
  x will be called i2c-i801.

  x Symbol: I2C_I801 [=m]
  x Prompt: Intel 82801 (ICH)
  x   Defined at drivers/i2c/busses/Kconfig:110
  x   Depends on: I2C && PCI
  x   Location:
  x     -> Device Drivers
  x       -> I2C support
  x         -> I2C support (I2C [=y])
  x           -> I2C Hardware Bus support

It seems quite possible that this advanced board might need I2c support
statically compiled before the various components can properly
communicate with each other and the kernel.

Hope this helps.
Holly