J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On December 20, 2018 11:45:29 AM UTC, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Peter Humphrey wrote:
>
>         On Thursday, 20 December 2018 08:12:43 GMT Dale wrote:
>
>             Thanks for the help. When I boot next time, maybe it will
>             log the error and I can see what is going on.
>
>         You could also try CTRL-S to pause the screen update and
>         CTRL-Q to let it continue.
>

>     I did try page up, up arrow and such.  I was trying to get at least one
>     or two keywords to look into.  Thing is, it is so fast. My old 4 core
>     booted pretty quick but this new 8 core with faster clock speeds is
>     seriously fast.  It goes from the kernel starting to load to sddm
>     starting in seconds.  I'm not sure if the extra memory helps at that
>     point or not but the faster and extra cores sure does.  I'll try to
>     remember that ctrl s.  I just better have my fingers ready.  lol
>
>     If I had a sdd drive for the OS to be on, I guess it would be even
>     faster.  vvrrrmmmmm vvvrrrmmmmm!!!!
>
>     Dale
>
>     :-)  :-)
>

> Next upgrade idea:
> - mainboard with NVME slot
> - NVME drive for your OS.
>
> Your CPU and memory will be the next bottleneck :)
>

> --

Yea.  I looked into rebuilding from scratch, less the case of course.
I'm just not sure it would be worth the speed increase.  The biggest
things I needed, more drive space and more memory.  The CPU was just on
sale.  Hard to beat $75.00 for a 8 core CPU running at over 4GHz.  Right
now, it's plenty fast.  I may consider it after I do some other things
tho.  I plan to do a emerge -e world before to long.  I wanted to let
the new CPU compound sort of get set in.

I might add, the new video card is way overpowered for what I do.  LOL
Most of the time, it maxes out at about 10% of its power and less than
10% for memory usage.  I really can't tell much difference from my old
220 to this new 650 series.  The biggest difference, the 650 runs much
cooler.  I just hope it doesn't get bored and go to sleep.  ;-)  Oh,
when I run glxgears at full screen, it still only goes to about 60%.  It
warms up a little but not a whole lot.

Now to go see what a NVME drive is.  I don't recall ever hearing of
those.  Sounds interesting.

Dale

:-)  :-)