On Tuesday, 1 October 2019 18:47:25 BST Mick wrote:

> As I understand it this ID must be the ID bootctl itself reports.
> However, earlier bootctl versions do not have this set-default ID
> subcommand.  If you run bootctl with no arguments does it show up?

No, it behaves the same as 'bootctl status'.

> > Bootctl and efibootmgr seem to operate orthogonally, at least in some
> > respects, which doesn't help me to uderstand what's going on.
>
> If you follow the UEFI spec and store one kernel per EFI/
> subdirectory, the UEFI firmware will pick them up on its own and the
> efibootmgr will list them.
>
> I would think bootctl will also pick them up and add them in its own menu.

My impression is that efibootmgr only picks up what it's written itself, and
what the BIOS has filled in. Bootctl does do as you say, though.

> If you use a suitable alphanumeric nomenclature to elevate the
> subdirectory of your kernel of choice, it should be selected as the
> default (hopefully).

Nope:

# tree /boot/EFI
/boot/EFI
├── BOOT
│   └── BOOTX64.EFI
├── systemd
│   └── systemd-bootx64.efi
└── TestSys
    └── BOOT
        └── bootX64.efi

# ls /boot/loader/entries
08-gentoo-4.19.66-rescue.conf        40-gentoo-4.19.66.conf
09-gentoo-4.19.66-rescue.nonet.conf  42-gentoo-4.19.66.nox.conf
30-gentoo-4.19.72.conf               44-gentoo-4.19.66.nonet.conf
32-gentoo-4.19.72.nox.conf           90-testsys-4.19.72.conf
34-gentoo-4.19.72.nonet.conf         92-testsys-4.19.72.nonet.conf

Bootctl has picked the test system as its default (90-testsys-4.19.72), and
the boot menu comes up with it selected; that's why I want to change bootctl's
default selection. The two files bootx64.efi (modulo case) are identical
kernel images except for CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="<...>".

> Meanwhile, assuming you have set the systemd-boot timeout to a value
> greater than 0, you could try pressing 'd' after you move  the cursor
> to the desired kernel image.  I think it sets the selected image as a
> default, but I don't have a systemd-boot available to see if it merely
> boots the existing default setting.

That's it! I didn't know about that - where is it documented?

Thank you for your own patience, Mick.  :)

--
Regards,
Peter.