On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 10:24 AM Wols Lists <antli...@youngman.org.uk>
wrote:

> On 12/01/20 16:36, Mick wrote:
> > Hmm ... I can see how Microsoft's move to cloud computing for home
users can
> > quickly escalate to a spiral of confusion and annoyance.
>
> The problem, of course, is it assumes reliable fast internet ...
>
> At home, last I looked I couldn't upgrade with my current provider from
> ADSL2, and it regularly broke of an evening with, I think, other users
> streaming via the same uplink (I guess bufferbloat meant they got good
> download service, me being far more up-and-down it was appalling ... :-(
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

In the last month or two I've read that M$ has shutoff the download of iso
files. When I went through my update this week I was forced (but not
bothered) to run their exe file that creates a bootable USB drive. I
wondered at the time how people who aren't currently running Windows would
do that but it didn't effect my needs. Possibly that's more robust for you
with your ADSL?

As for the M$ account I already had one so I just logged in and let it
happen as the alternative was to be stuck with a non-updateable Win 7
machine running Native Instruments products and sooner (rather than later)
vendors like NI won't support Win 7 anymore and my investment in electronic
music apps would sunset which I'm not willing to have happen yet. There are
3 machines in my setup, 2 Kubuntu and (now) a Win 10. Mixbus32C (based on
Ardour but completely rebuilt and supported by Harrison Consoles) running
on Kubuntu is a great DAW for the more old-school audio recording I like to
do.

- Mark