emerge-webrsync has just eaten my /usr/portage :-( ;-(

I let it run unattended.  When I came back I saw first some complaints
from rsync about "vanished" files ... something like

/usr/portage/_build has vanished before it could be transferred

and under that portage breaking all over because things in /usr/portage
were missing.  And indeed when I look now, almost everything is gone -
all subdirectories including profiles/ and eclass/ are empty (not
distfiles/ but that is not surprising).

Not a hardware problem - there are no syslog messages about i/o errors.

What has happened and how can I fix it?

--
Ian