On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 2:11 PM Ian Zimmerman <i...@very.loosely.org> wrote:

> emerge-webrsync has just eaten my /usr/portage :-( ;-(
>
> What has happened and how can I fix it?

Offhand I'm not sure why it broke, but the gentoo repo is completely
disposable.  When this sort of thing happens I generally just:

cd /usr
mv portage portage-old
emerge-webrsync or emerge --sync

You might consider moving the sync location out of /usr while you're
at it.  Also, if you haven't already done so get
/usr/portage/distfiles outside of the repo directory.  For new
installs both of these are moved to /var in non-nested directories,
but existing installs will continue to use their present locations.

--
Rich