On 2020-02-23 16:47, Rich Freeman wrote:

> > emerge-webrsync has just eaten my /usr/portage :-( ;-(
> >

> Offhand I'm not sure why it broke, but the gentoo repo is completely
> disposable.  When this sort of thing happens I generally just:
>
> cd /usr
> mv portage portage-old
> emerge-webrsync or emerge --sync

It was 100% self inflicted.  What I'd done to cause it was a bit stupid,
but no document I know explicitly says "don't do this", so I think a
follow up might be of some value.

In a desperate act to satisfy the ever increasing build space
requirements for firefox and its kin, I'd symlinked /var/tmp/portage to
a subdirectory of /usr/portage.  And webrsync does "rsync ... --delete
...", so now you see where this is going.

Fortunately, as you say, the recovery was easy once I knew what went
wrong.

> You might consider moving the sync location out of /usr while you're
> at it.  Also, if you haven't already done so get
> /usr/portage/distfiles outside of the repo directory.  For new
> installs both of these are moved to /var in non-nested directories,
> but existing installs will continue to use their present locations.

But I already have a bunch of symlinks to juggle the space requirements
and I would rather not revisit that, right now.  On my system /var is in
the / filesystem and doesn't have that much space (less than the 8G
necessary to build firefox).  At some future spring cleaning time,
maybe.

Thanks for the help.

--
Ian