On Thu, Sep 03, 2020 at 03:19:01PM -0400, John Blinka wrote:

> > > 1) How  do you cope with this problem?
> >
> > i cope by these:
> >
> >     - use pixel-based fonts for everything as much
> >
> >       as possible, specially for key apps like:
> >
> >       terminal, window manager and browser.
> >

> >       they become so much readable.  i use
> >
> >       "terminus-font" (and previously used "dina")
> >
> >       in my urxvt as well as my other apps as much
> >
> >       as i can.
> >

> >       i notice one of the major problems with
> >
> >       fonts is actually not our eyes, but in many
> >
> >       cases how fancy fonts blur.  i was
> >
> >       personally amazed by how i could use much
> >
> >       smaller fonts, while maintaining
> >
> >       readability, by simply switching to
> >
> >       pixel-based fonts, such as terminus.
>

> I think I’m ok on fonts with my very hi-res monitor plus noto sans mono
> font and white-on-black text wherever possible.  Discovered that during my
> “tuning” efforts and like the look.  Used to use terminus but prefer my
> current recipe.  Admittedly the clarity is probably only infinitesimally
> different from terminus.

For vector fonts, you can try setting font hinting to maximum. This will
give sharp edges even at smaller sizes (provided the font supports it, but
for mainstream-fonts such as DejaVu, Noto et al. this shouldn’t be a problem.

--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

We are all in the same boat. Only some are fishing, others are rowing.