On Friday, 11 December 2020 18:24:27 GMT the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> On 12/11/2020 10:45 AM, Michael wrote:

> >> sub-strings) in the source code for the Linux kernel, GRUB2, and refind.
> >> It
> >> seems to me it should be in one of them.
> >>
> >> - Matthew
> >
> > The error is indicative of the kernel driver for the / block device
> > missing. If it is not built in-the-kernel, but as a module, then it
> > should be in initramfs.
> >
> > Copy the kernel image, System.map, .config and corresponding initramfs to
> > the /boot partition, then point your boot manager to the kernel to boot
> > it.
> How do you copy/generate initramfs in /boot directory?

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Kernel
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Genkernel

If you're using genkernel it will copy it to /boot.  Besides the Handbook you
may find the following reference material on boot managers/loaders useful:

For rEFInd see here:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Refind

For GRUB see here:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2