On 12/11/2020 03:06 PM, Jack wrote:
> On 12/11/20 4:36 PM, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
>> I wipe the /boot, reinstall kernel, initframes, grub.
>> The system boots, I can login as root but X is not running,
>> the command is displaying:  "(none) /#"
>>
>> When I try to start the network I get:
>> fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24) open: no such file or directory
>> Filesystems couldn't be fixed
>> ERROR: fsck failed to start
>>
>> It seems to me "/" file system mount in "read only" mode.
>> When I try to emerge anything I get: /var/log/emerge.log Read-only file
>> system.
>
> I fell like I'm shooting at a moving target.  Are you using genkernel or
> not?  Are you using grub or rEFInd?  Is there any interesting error in
> dmesg?  Is initframes hopefully just a typo for initramfs?  When
> booting, can you see what the boot  mgr is doing or trying to do?
>
> You say X is not running -  are you using (or trying to use) a display
> manager?  You might be better off starting without one, and using a
> command line login before adding the complexity of X.
>
> I'll guess the "none" is the hostname as part of your shell prompt.  You
> can "fix" that by setting a hostname for the PC.
>
> Are you sure that fsck message has anything to do with starting the
> network?  It looks like fsck can't find the open command, so there may
> be something more wrong than just a read-only /.

I'm using now linux-5.4.72-gentoo, grub only. Install boot loader from
scratch.
I only use genkernel to install initframes:

genkernel --install --kernel-config=/usr/src/linux/.config initramfs

No, errors during startup in dmesg.  So I have very little to go by.
Trying  "touch 1.txt"
Read-only file system.

I'm using slim, but I can deal with X later on.
Something happen to this system and I can not fix it, it is a brand new
installation, but not reliable :-/