Actually, you have an error or two below.

On 12/11/2020 6:16 PM, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
No, I did not reformat the /boot partition. I just cd to /boot and run:
rm -r *
Probably better to wipe the file system. But you talk about moving away from EFI in another thread, so we'll just say that should this happen again, you should wipe with mkfs.<fstype> instead of just rm -r.

Yes, this machine is new but I run it for a over 10-days, configured
most of the programs and it was running without much problems.
Yesterday, I decided to check some parameters in kernel .config so I run:
  genkernel --menuconfig all

Next time, just do this:

cd /usr/src/linux
make menconfig (or nconfig)

* Gentoo Linux Genkernel; Version 4.1.2
* Using genkernel configuration from '/etc/genkernel.conf' ...
* Running with options: --kernel-config=/proc/config.gz all

* Working with Linux kernel 5.4.72-gentoo-x86_64 for x86_64
* Using kernel config file '/proc/config.gz' ...
*
* Note: The version above is subject to change (depends on config and
status of kernel sources).

* kernel: >> Initializing ...
*         >> Running 'make clean' ...
*         >> --mrproper is set; Making 'make mrproper' ...
*         >> Will ignore kernel config from '/proc/config.gz'
*            in favor of already existing but different kernel config
*            found in '/usr/src/linux/.config' ...
*
So you are wrong below. As you can see above, genkernel IS using /usr/src/linux/.config. I'm not 100% certain, but I THINK genkernel will compare the config files, and prefer the .config if it is present.
          >> Running 'make oldconfig' ...
*         >> Compiling 5.4.72-gentoo-x86_64 bzImage ...

When I exit it it started to compile the kernel (it did not finish) I
pressed
"CTRL-C" (interrupted).
I didn't know then, but running genkernel --menuconfig all
takes configuration from:
/etc/kernels/kernel-config-5.4.72-gentoo-x86_64

not from: /usr/src/linux/.config
No, unless /etc/kernels/kernel-config-<whatever> is NEWER than .config, and maybe not even then. See above.
However, NO FILE HAD CHANGED IN /boot
But this this is the moment, I couldn't boot correctly.
What was the boot error?
make && make modules_install
make install
genkernel --install --kernel-config=/usr/src/linux/.config initramfs
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

But nothing had changed. So I tired newer kernel: 5.4.80-gentoo-r1-x86_64
But this time I run (without interruptions):
  genkernel --menuconfig all
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

And again nothing changed, root "/" still mounts "ro"

findmnt
TARGET                        SOURCE         FSTYPE   OPTIONS
/                             /dev/nvme0n1p4 ext4     ro,relatime

Normally it should be:
findmnt
TARGET                       SOURCE      FSTYPE      OPTIONS
/                            /dev/sda4   ext4        rw,noatime,data=ordered
Looks like it's not getting to the root remount stage. The kernel will almost always boot in ro mode. So you're probably getting stuck in the emergency shell. Can you see your device in /dev?
Does dmesg show the drive being recognised, corresponding drivers being
loaded, partitions and filesystems recognised?
cat dmesg  |grep error
doesn't show any errors

What's the last 10 or so lines from dmesg when it fails to boot and goes to what I'm guessing is the emergency shell?
I'll try to boot GParted and see what comes up.

I don't think gparted is your answer. Sounds to me like something is causing it to fail in the changeover from your initrd to the actual drive. If that's the case I bet your partitions are fine. Can you show us the last 10-15 lines printed on the screen before you get stuck?

--
Dan Egli
From my Test Server