On Friday, 11 December 2020 22:29:12 GMT the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> On 12/11/2020 03:06 PM, Jack wrote:
> > On 12/11/20 4:36 PM, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> >> I wipe the /boot, reinstall kernel, initframes, grub.
> >> The system boots, I can login as root but X is not running,
> >> the command is displaying:  "(none) /#"
> >>
> >> When I try to start the network I get:
> >> fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24) open: no such file or directory
> >> Filesystems couldn't be fixed
> >> ERROR: fsck failed to start
> >>
> >> It seems to me "/" file system mount in "read only" mode.
> >> When I try to emerge anything I get: /var/log/emerge.log Read-only file
> >> system.
> >
> > I fell like I'm shooting at a moving target.  Are you using genkernel or
> > not?  Are you using grub or rEFInd?  Is there any interesting error in
> > dmesg?  Is initframes hopefully just a typo for initramfs?  When
> > booting, can you see what the boot  mgr is doing or trying to do?
> >
> > You say X is not running -  are you using (or trying to use) a display
> > manager?  You might be better off starting without one, and using a
> > command line login before adding the complexity of X.
> >
> > I'll guess the "none" is the hostname as part of your shell prompt.  You
> > can "fix" that by setting a hostname for the PC.
> >
> > Are you sure that fsck message has anything to do with starting the
> > network?  It looks like fsck can't find the open command, so there may
> > be something more wrong than just a read-only /.
>
> I'm using now linux-5.4.72-gentoo, grub only. Install boot loader from
> scratch.
> I only use genkernel to install initframes:
>
> genkernel --install --kernel-config=/usr/src/linux/.config initramfs
>
> No, errors during startup in dmesg.  So I have very little to go by.
> Trying  "touch 1.txt"
> Read-only file system.
>
> I'm using slim, but I can deal with X later on.
> Something happen to this system and I can not fix it, it is a brand new
> installation, but not reliable :-/

When you "wiped /boot" did you reformat the partition?  If yes, did you
recreate a filesystem label with the same name as used in your /etc/fstab?

Is this a brand new kernel image + initramfs, or a kernel image which you have
used at least once before to boot this machine successfully?

Does dmesg show the drive being recognised, corresponding drivers being
loaded, partitions and filesystems recognised?

Does syslog show any relevant errors?

Does 'mount' or 'findmnt' show all your partitions?

Are they mounted as rw?

These are just some steps you could follow to find out at what stage a problem
may have occurred and what to check/fix to get it booting successfully.

PS.  These days there are precompiled kernels + initramfs available to get a
system booting quickly, like sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel-bin, before you finesse
a slimmer kernel manually later on - should you ever wish to roll your own by
hand.