Don't complain to me on the Gentoo mailling list.

Go bother:

A.The ZFS mailling list
B.The GRUB mailling list

IIRC this has to do with the whole CDDL x GPL situation.

On the topic of not having UEFI as a possibility:

Either upgrade your machine or go back to the steps mentioned above.

I don't mean to be rude, it's just the situation of things right now.
I also wish GRUB properly supported ZFS, to the point of letting me set
all it's features on a single pool and use boot environments.