On 2021-11-29 22:47-0600 Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now if I can figure out how to reset the list of /dev/sd* names that
> are lurking about and inconsistent, that would be like striking gold.
>  Every time I hook up my external drive, it gets a different sd*
> name.  It does the same on the SD cards from my trail cameras too but
> I can auto mount those.

I don't think it is possible to get consistent sd* names for removable
media. But you could use volume labels with `tune2fs -L` or `tune.exfat
-L` or `fatlabel` and then mount them via /dev/disk/by-label/*.

Kind regards, tastytea

--
Get my PGP key with `gpg --locate-keys tasty...@tastytea.de` or at
<https://tastytea.de/tastytea.asc>.