On Mon, 2021-11-29 at 22:47 -0600, Dale wrote:
> Now if I can figure out how to reset the list of /dev/sd* names that
> are lurking about and inconsistent, that would be like striking
> gold.  Every time I hook up my external drive, it gets a different
> sd* name.  It does the same on the SD cards from my trail cameras too
> but I can auto mount those.

I'd suggest using the UUIDs for the disks (acquired via the blkid
command) and adding them to your /etc/fstab ... That's always been my
solution to commonly-connected-but-never-permanently external disks.

It won't ensure the same sd* name, but it will ensure that they get
mounted consistently where you expect them to be.