So, I went on to the sasl mailing list and someone found a patch --
seems to be available for the freebsd port, and the patch was specific
to sendmail and dev-libs/cyrus-sasl 2.1.28.  I modified it for gentoo
and it fixed everything up!  I wonder if I should file this somewhere
-- funny no one else noticed this before -- I saw nothing on bgo.

On Fri, 06 May 2022 10:47:15 -0400,
Grant Taylor wrote:

> On 5/6/22 4:09 AM, John Covici wrote:
> > So, I restored all the files, I could like sendmail.mc and the
> > Sendmail.conf, but no joy, still no authentication
> > mechanisms. I restored them to about first of April.
>
> Well darn.  :-/
>
> > This still leads me to saslauthd.
>
> I didn't mean to imply that it /wasn't/ SASL, just that the two
> are separate.
>
> Have you been maintaining your sendmail.cf via the sendmail.mc
> file?  Or are there unaccounted for hand edits?  --  I'll often
> test new things in sendmail.cf directly and then promote them to
> sendmail.mc once I have identified what I want.
>
> Likewise with submit.cf / submit.mc.
>
> Would you be willing to share your sendmail.mc and submit.mc
> files? Feel free to "REDACT" things as necessary.  (Please make
> sure it's easy to tell what is redacted.)
>

> --
> Grant. . . .
> unix || die

How do