Michael wrote:
> On Sunday, 18 December 2022 15:12:37 GMT Dale wrote:
>> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>> On Sat, Dec 17, 2022 at 4:42 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>> <SNIP>

>>> manage it.
>>> <SNIP>
>>>
>>> Take the machine, wipe it and build a NAS from scratch with Gentoo. If
>>> all you want is an NFS mount that won't be difficult. Add an NFS
>>> server, export your mount and you're done, right? Managing it over the
>>> long term will be far more work than TrueNAS but you will be
>>> comfortable with changing disks and adding network cards which
>>> is important to you. Life is too short to deal with things you really
>>> don't enjoy.
>>>
>>> I would not suggest you look at Ubuntu Server because it's NGL. 10
>>> minutes to install, 3 minutes to figure out how to add the NFS server.
>>> However it's a different package manager and truly not as nice as
>>> emerge/portage so you probably won't like that part of NGL either. I
>>> truly don't like apt, but it works if I stay in my lane so I've
>>> learned to do that, the advantage being I've never had to build a
>>> package from scratch and I've never in 5 or 6 years had an update fail.
>>>
>>> Wipe the machine. You'll be happier.
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Mark
>> Well, I finally got it so I could do a backup.  I didn't need a hammer
>> but the thought crossed my mind.  lol  Even tho I now have a 1GB network
>> card, it's still really slow.  It shows up as a 1GB connection on both
>> my Gentoo machine and the NAS machine.  This is a example of the speeds
>> I'm seeing.  Just snippets.
>>

>> 277,193,507 100%   16.18MB/s    0:00:16
>> 519,216,571 100%   18.86MB/s    0:00:26
>> 738,078,565 100%   23.54MB/s    0:00:29
>>

>> As you can see, the files sizes are large enough it should do better.
>> When I use iftop, it shows it isn't doing anywhere near the speed it
>> should, maybe 1/4th or so.  I'd expect at least double or triple that
>> speed.  In all honesty, I'd think the hard drive would be the limiting
>> factor.  Even on my Gentoo rig I only get about 50 to 60MBs/sec for
>> encrypted drives.  I think the encryption slows that down.  When copying
>> from a plain drive to a plain drive, I get 100MBs/sec or so.
>>
>> I can't figure out why it is so slow tho.  The NAS rig is a 4 core CPU
>> and 8GBs of memory.  It should have enough horsepower under the hood.
>> Maybe it is something I'm not aware of.  It is a older rig so maybe it
>> isn't SATA's fastest version, maybe even the original or something.  I
>> can't find anything in lspci or dmesg so not real sure where to look on
>> BSD.
>>
>> Anyway, it's progress for now at least.  ;-)  At this rate, it'll be
>> done in about a week, maybe.  o_O
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
> Has it auto-negotiated a full-duplex connection at 1Gbps?  Run ifconfig and
> [...]

Mine says that here too.

media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)

You know, it's not that easy to copy that from a console on BSD.  It was
kind enough to give me a hint on how tho.  ;-)

I was pretty sure it was at full speed.  In iftop it showed it was a 1GB
connection, just not using much of it.

I suspect it has something to do with this being a older system.  I
wouldn't be surprised if the SATA was a older and slower version.  I
guess I could google it.

Dale

:-)  :-)