On Sat, Sep 23, 2023 at 8:04 AM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm expecting more of a consistent throughput instead of all the
> idle time.  The final throughput is only around 29.32MB/s according to
> info from rsync.  If it was not stopping all the time and passing data
> through all the time, I think that would improve.  Might even double.

Is anything else reading data from the NAS at the same time?  The
performance is going to depend on a lot of details you haven't
provided, but anything that reads from a hard disk is going to
significantly drop throughput - probably to levels around what you're
seeing.

That seems like the most likely explanation, assuming you don't have
some older CPU or a 100Mbps network port, or something else like WiFi
in the mix.  The bursty behavior is likely due to caching.

--
Rich