Am Sat, Sep 23, 2023 at 02:30:32PM -0500 schrieb Dale:

> I read the other replies and I think it is caching the data, the drives
> writes and catches up and then it asks for more data again.

Tool tip: dstat

It puts out one line of values every x seconds (x == 1 by default).
With arguments you can tell it what to show. To see disks in action, I like
to run the following during upgrades that involve volumous packages:

dstat --time --cpu --disk -D <comma-list of disks you want to monitor> --net
--mem-adv --swap'

The cpu column includes IO wait.

The disk columns show read and write volume. If you omit the -D option, you
will only see a total over all disks, which might still be enough for your
use case.

The mem-adv shows how much data is in the file system write cache (the --mem
option does not).

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

Unburden your teacher; skip classes once in a while!