Den 30.09.2023 22:57, skrev Valmor F. de Almeida:

Hello,

For a while now (3 weeks or so) I have been upgrading the linux kernel on a Dell XPS laptop starting from 6.1.41-gentoo (which is my current working kernel) to 6.1.53-gentoo-r1. No kernel I have built since is able to boot. I have been following the same method for many years: make oldconfig, etc...

The booting error starts at:

[snip]

* INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
[snip]
* Starting cronie ...
* Starting DHCP Client Daemon ...
* Starting laptop_mode ...
* Mounting network filesystems ...
/etc/init.d/netmount: line 45 /lib/rc/bin/ewend: Input/output error
/lib/rc/sh/rc-cgroup.sh: line 184: rmdir: command not found
INIT:
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"

Can you show /etc/fstab and the console-log for the entire boot? Seems /sbin is not readable. You sure you have the kernel modules loaded? Are you using an initramfs? If so, does that build without errors ?