Den 01.10.2023 21:31, skrev Frank Steinmetzger:
Am Sat, Sep 30, 2023 at 11:25:46PM +0200 schrieb Håkon Alstadheim:
Den 30.09.2023 22:57, skrev Valmor F. de Almeida:
Hello,

For a while now (3 weeks or so) I have been upgrading the linux kernel
on a Dell XPS laptop starting from 6.1.41-gentoo (which is my current
working kernel) to 6.1.53-gentoo-r1. No kernel I have built since is
able to boot. I have been following the same method for many years: make
oldconfig, etc...

The booting error starts at:

[snip]

* INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
[snip]
* Starting cronie ...
* Starting DHCP Client Daemon ...
* Starting laptop_mode ...
* Mounting network filesystems ...
/etc/init.d/netmount: line 45 /lib/rc/bin/ewend: Input/output error
/lib/rc/sh/rc-cgroup.sh: line 184: rmdir: command not found
INIT:
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"

Can you show /etc/fstab and the console-log for the entire boot? Seems /sbin
is not readable. You sure you have the kernel modules loaded? Are you using
an initramfs? If so, does that build without errors ?
The input/output error – to me – indicates a hardware problem. When you
mounted the FS by hand, can you read ewend? For instance with md5sum.

except it boots ok with older kernels. When you've eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable has to be a kernel config change (missing&necessary or erroneous and unintended) , or initramfs failing to build/install correctly. Check error output from your kernel&initramfs build.