On Sunday, 1 October 2023 05:56:02 BST Valmor F. de Almeida wrote:
> On 9/30/23 17:25, Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
> > Den 30.09.2023 22:57, skrev Valmor F. de Almeida:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> For a while now (3 weeks or so) I have been upgrading the linux kernel
> >> on a Dell XPS laptop starting from 6.1.41-gentoo (which is my current
> >> working kernel) to 6.1.53-gentoo-r1. No kernel I have built since is
> >> able to boot. I have been following the same method for many years:
> >> make oldconfig, etc...
> >>
> >> The booting error starts at:
> >>
> >> [snip]
> >>
> >> * INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
> >> [snip]
> >> * Starting cronie ...
> >> * Starting DHCP Client Daemon ...
> >> * Starting laptop_mode ...
> >> * Mounting network filesystems ...
> >> /etc/init.d/netmount: line 45 /lib/rc/bin/ewend: Input/output error
> >> /lib/rc/sh/rc-cgroup.sh: line 184: rmdir: command not found
> >> INIT:
> >> INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
> >> INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
> >> INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
> >
> > Can you show /etc/fstab and the console-log for the entire boot? Seems
> > /sbin is not readable. You sure you have the kernel modules loaded? Are
> > you using an initramfs? If so, does that build without errors ?
>
> Here is fstab:
>
> /dev/nvme0n1p2          /boot           ext2            defaults        0 2
> /dev/nvme0n1p3          none            swap            sw              0 0
> /dev/nvme0n1p4          /               ext4            noatime,discard
>         0 1
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom      auto            noauto,user     0 0
>
> I have not changed anything from 6.1.41-gentoo (which compiles and
> boots) except updating the config file for compiling the new kernel.
> Then I do: make && modules_install. Which runs without errors. After
> that: grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
> I am not using initramfs.
>
> I don't know how to save the boot messages; it seems that if I turn on
> the logger in openrc, it will log the openrc messages but not sysinit
> runlevels?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Valmor

I think the error messages you're getting indicate inability to access your
rootfs.  Have you perhaps changed the fs drivers in the latest kernels, from
built in to modules?

Have you diff'ed your 6.1.41-gentoo .config file against the latest kernels'
.config files to see what might have changed/missing?

You can set up a netconsole to check boot time messages:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Netconsole

In summary, build netconsole in the new kernel, or as a module, change GRUB's
default CMDLINE from "quiet splash" to "debug" and add netconsole in the
kernel command line:

netconsole=@/,[PORT]@[DEST_IP]

Then at the destination PC launch netcat/socat/telnet; e.g.

nc -u -l -p [PORT]

and reboot the PC you want to debug with the latest kernel, while watching the
output on the destination PC's terminal with nc.