Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 7, 2023 at 9:18 AM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> >
> > My first kernel, emerge prechecks warned that it wasn't and might or
> might not work.  So, I went back to a version that it claims is
> supported.  I have to say tho, the nvidia site wasn't very helpful.
> The messages when emerging nvidia-drivers was a lot more help.  That
> said, it does load the drivers.  They are listed with lsmod.  Given
> the kernel is on my main rig, it's harder to test since I don't reboot
> often.  At some point, I may start a thread about it if a update or
> something doesn't fix it.  After all, current kernel is working just
> fine.
> >
> > I just thought it worthwhile to follow this problem since it might
> help or give clues on things to look into.  Might be related, might not.
> >
> Hi Dale,
>
> So assuming I understand your situation, you built nvidia-drivers to
> work with
> 6.1.55 - but got no GUI. The build told you it might not work and it
> didn't.
>
> You went back to an earlier kernel and it does work.
>
> I don't think you shared what NVidia card is in this machine, and
> I don't think you shared what version of NVidia drivers worked
> with the old kernel and what version didn't work with the new kernel?
>
> - Mark

Actually, I went to the latest version in the tree, 6.5, and got the
message it likely won't work.  I went back to a version the message said
should work, 6.1.  It still doesn't work.  It may be the driver, it may
not be.  I could have left something new out in the kernel that it needs
but I didn't know it.  It could be any number of things.  At some point
when I got time to mess with it, I'm going to boot into the kernel that
doesn't work and save the log files, sddm, Xorg etc.  Then maybe it will
have a clue as to the problem.

Until then I just want to sort of follow this to see if it might help
with my problem.  If not, oh well.

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  My pack of drives arrived early.  Running SMART test on them
now.  :-D