Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2024-05-21, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> If you want consisent network device names (even when you change
>>> hardware), you need to either
>>>
>>>  1. create udev rules that assign device names based on MAC addresses.
>>>
>>>  2. use a network configuration subsystem that assigns device names
>>>     and configurations based on MAC addresses.
>> Do you, or someone else, know of a good howto on how to use MAC
>> addresses like that?  Given this thing is usually remotely accessed, I
>> really need it to be consistent with or without the card.  Maybe you
>> have a bookmarked link saved somewhere.  I'm on openrc to.  I'll google
>> around but you, or someone else here, may have a really good and simple
>> howto link.
> The udev way is probably the most universal. Some distros will create
> udev rules automagically so that network interface names persist over
> hardware changes, but Gentoo doesn't.  Here's my udev rules file that
> defines my network interface names for the machine I'm on at the moment:
>
> ------------------/etc/udev/rules.d/70-my-persistent-net.rules-----------------------
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="2c:f0:5d:6f:10:af",
> NAME="net0"
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="00:1b:21:b1:d1:e9",
> NAME="net1"
>
> I used to use "ethN" instead of "netN", but those names are used
> internally by the kernel during startup, and people were warned not to
> use them in udev rules because of certain race conditions that might
> happen.  I never ran into problems using "ethN" names, but eventually
> decided not to push my luck.
>
> The network configuration route depends on what network configuration
> (and possibly init) system you use.  I know how to do it that way on
> Ubunutu (which is systemd based) using netplan...
>
> --
> Grant

Examples do help a lot.  I do use the enp* naming scheme.  My
understanding, that is the "new" way.  Based on your config, I would
need to change the NAME= to enp* names and that would correct that.
Where you have ATTR, is that a quote or did you edit to remove a number,
MAC address, IP or something?  If it is one of those, where do I find
that info?  I checked ifconfig and didn't see a MAC address.  I also
checked lspci -v.  I'm not sure where you get the needed info from.
BTW, right now, I'm on my main rig.

I have the package net-misc/networkmanager installed.  Most likely
pulled in by something else.  Could I use it to configure this?  I also
have KDE installed on the NAS box, it is also a backup rig in case my
main rig dies.  It may have a GUI that I could use.  I'm not opposed to
the command line way tho.  Biggest thing, copy and paste would be nice.
;-)

I'm trying to hoe weeds in my garden at the moment.  Hoe a little, take
a break, then repeat.  I did sharpen the edge on my hoe tho.  If I touch
it, it's cut.  Makes it a lot easier.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)