On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 11:41 PM Marco Minutoli <mminut...@gmail.com> wrote:

What I believe is in the realm of reasonable is to ask to be notified when important (as in popular) packages that are currently missing support get updated with a stable version supporting python 3.12 so that we can take action on our side.

Well, anything system-critical (as in you won't be able to boot or use
the package manager/etc) would have been updated before the change.
Actually, that stuff would have been checked before it was even
possible to install 3.12 most likely.

Here is the problem.
Not all "system-critical" packages were stabilised before this change was pushed.

Popular is another matter. Part of the issue is that the people who
maintain python do not necessarily maintain or use the stuff that is
popular. The stuff that is popular might not even be maintained at
all in some cases.

Probably wouldn't have hurt to file bugs before everything started
breaking, but I get that even automated bug filing takes work, and it
isn't like I was volunteering to do it...