Dale wrote:
> Howdy, again,
>
> <<< SNIP >>>
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Update, number 1.  The CPU finally came in.  It was supposed to be here
Monday, finally left the hub on Wednesday morning, went to the wrong
post office.  This morning, it finally made it to the right post office
and arrived in my mailbox this afternoon.  I might add, some other
things came in too.  I got the thermal pads and a couple more of my
favorite vintage soup spoons.  O_O

Anyway, installed a couple more 140mm case fans, also added a .5mm thick
thermal pad to the m.2 heatsink so that it makes better contact.  Then I
figured out how to install the CPU cooler base and installed the CPU and
cooler.  I then rechecked all the power and fan connectors.  I dug out
the always handy Ventoy USB stick, thanks again for pointing that thing
out to me ages ago, and I proceeded to my first boot up.  I hit the
power button and watched for smoke at first, with a finger on the power
supply power button, and then watched the fans spin up, 2 CPU fans and 6
case fans.  All good.  Then came the very tiny beep.  A couple seconds
later, the screen popped on and said I had a new CPU installed.  Well
duh!!!  To be honest, I reset to defaults, restarted, then updated the
BIOS.  So far, very good.  No smoke or fire and everything is working.

Once all that was done, I booted the Ventoy stick and worked my way to a
memtest tool that works with EFI thingy.  It is currently at 16% of
64GBs and testing pretty fast.  Keep in mind, first new rig I built in a
decade, first ASUS mobo, first time using efi thingy and likely other
firsts I don't know about.  This reminds me of the sub-thread
discussion.  Every transistor on the CPU has to work, every chip on mobo
has to work, everything connected to it has to work.  And it all worked,
first time.  The old saying about a wink link in a chain comes to mind.
This chain has a LOT of links.  They all seem to be strong.

The memtest is at 42% now.  Zero errors.

Oh, I ordered a 4 port video card.  I found a comparison site that
compares video card abilities and speed.  It is about 150% faster than
current card in my main rig.  It's a Quadro P1000.  It's not a lot but
it is more than enough for me.  It's not here yet so I'm using one of a
four pack I bought when I started the NAS box project.  It has four
ports but is PCIe V2.  New card is PCIe V3.  Any newer, gets expensive
and a whole lot more than I need.  The ports is the big thing.

Will update as things progress.  I suspect the efi thingy is going to
get interesting.  o_O  A link to pictures will come later.  Oh, the
memory sticks put on a light show.  What is up with that???  The little
m.2 cooler looks really cute.  Pretty much adorable.  LOL  I found one
that looks almost the same but taller and has two heat pipes instead of
one like mine.  Kinda pricey tho.  Must be for really large capacity m.2
sticks.  Some are quite large, and expensive too.

Later.

Dale

:-)  :-)