Wols Lists wrote:
> On 03/06/2024 12:07, MasterP wrote:
>> *NOTE*: Almost minutes after I wrote this, and before posting it, AMD
>> announced at Computex that the new gen will be available next month. So
>> maybe waiting for the new processors could be a good idea. Although
>> at the
>> launch, both the new boards and cpus are probably going to be very
>> expensive. Still, most new mid-to-high end boards will now have USB4
>> ports.
>
> My reaction - even if you buy the older version, this announcement
> will push down the "old tech" prices. Don't wait too long though, as a
> lot of stuff could be "end-of-lifed" and sold off cheap, rather than
> kept in production at a lower price point.
>
> Cheers.
> Wol

It is a delicate balance.  If you buy brand new tech, you pay for it,
BIG time.  If you drop down just a little, it is almost as fast but a
LOT cheaper.

The way I did my last two rigs is this.  Find the fastest CPU.  Drop
down about 2 models.  That is not the fastest but very close to it but a
LOT cheaper.  Then buy a mobo and memory to go with it.  You get a
system that is likely close to 90% of the fastest you can get but a lot
cheaper.  Nowadays, even if you drop down a lot, it still costs a arm
and a leg and you get a lot less.

Still a lot of think on.  I just wonder what prices will be like in 2 or
3 weeks.  Still, I do at least want AM5.  That AM4 is tempting tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)