On Sun, 2 Jun 2024 00:38:13 -0500, Dale wrote:

> Howdy, again,
>
> First, I'm not to thrilled with this mobo.  I'd still like to have more
> PCIe slots, even x1 ones would help.  It's the best I've found so far.
> It might be able to do the job.  I hope anyway.  Naturally, this will
> have Gentoo on it.  Network and all needs to work with Linux.  Heck, I
> don't have enough room to put a network card on this thing if the
> builtin doesn't work.
>
> This is the mobo I have picked. Link is the OEM page with CPU and memory
> info.
>
> https://www.asus.com/us/motherboards-components/motherboards/prime/
prime-x670-p/helpdesk_qvl_cpu?model2Name=PRIME-X670-P

> [...]
> mobo, CPU and memory from the same company.  If someone has a better USA
> company, I'm open to ideas if the price is better.  I used to also use
> tigerdirect, no longer in business tho.
>
> https://www.walmart.com/ip/seot/1290971138    Mobo from ASUS
>
> https://www.walmart.com/ip/seot/1693068603    CPU from Newegg
>
> https://www.walmart.com/ip/seot/1597545320    Memory from Newegg
>
> My plan is the CPU above for now.  Later, I will upgrade to the Ryzen 9
> 7900X to get even more speed.  I'll also max the memory out too.  I'm
> unclear on the max memory tho.  One place shows 128GB, hence two 32GB
> sticks.  The out of stock Newegg one claims 256GB, which would be nice.
> I'm not sure what to think on memory.  Anyway.  If the thing is fast
> enough, I may do the memory first then CPU later.  If I need a faster
> CPU, I may do it first then the memory.  Biggest thing, the mobo,
> limited as it is, needs to be ready for those upgrades.  I think I did
> my math right and got the specs right.  More eyes the better.
>
> I'm still not real sure on hooking up a lot of drives to this thing.  I
> may have to have a true NAS box running 24/7.  My current Gigabyte
> 970A-UD3P is more to my liking expansion wise.  Heck, my old 770t is
> even better than current mobos.  Today's mobos are seriously lacking in
> everything except flashy stuff that serves no real purpose other than
> selling.  I like the m.2 thing.  Put a OS on that thing so that at least
> good things but the bad sure does outweigh the good added features.
> Don't get me started on all that flashy LED junk.  I'm fine with LEDs
> that indicate mobo power, errors etc.
>
> I also found this.  I think it fits.  Went with Samsung since it is a
> good brand for SSD stuff, all of them I've read.  ;-)  This would be for
> the OS.  It would go in the slot closest to the CPU, which is the
> fastest I think and runs on its own.  No sharing with something else.
>
> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-990-EVO-PCIe-5-0-NVMe-SSD-1TB-Black/
5332753022

> If someone knows of a mobo that has more PCIe slots, I'd love to hear
> about it.  I'd pay a little more for one as long as I can afford it.
> Gigabyte, ASUS, and MSI are brands I'm fine with.  There could be some
> I'm not aware of.  Same CPU and upgrade path tho please.  Memory could
> change also.
>
> Anyone see anything wrong with those configuration wise?  I used the
> ASUS website but one never knows.  Open to better mobo ideas, if any
> exist.  Vendor too.  Mobo comes from ASUS, rest from Newegg but all
> through Walmart.  Better info on the memory would be good. I'm not sure
> and the ASUS specs talk about memory type and specs but not the max you
> can put in.  If it is 256GB, I need to buy one 64GB memory stick and go
> from there.
>
> Thanks to all who help on this.  I'll be glad when this nightmare is
> over.  I've never been this disappointed in picking parts to build a rig

Hello,

I remember your previous posts about this upgrade. I also moved from the
FX series to Ryzen, quite a while ago, and your new build will be
considerably faster. This performance gain will not come just from the
CPU, but also from changing of the memory technologies (DDR4 or DDR5), and
changes that a new motherboard will bring. I now have 4 Ryzen systems. One
Ryzen 5 1600 AF (pretty much the same thing as Ryzen 5 2600), a Ryzen 5
3600 system, a Ryzen 7 5800x3D (3Ds are gaming CPUs), and Ryzen 9 5900x.

So you've decided to go with AM5. This is the better option at this point,
IMO. However AM4 would be cheaper.

For your motherboard choice, a similar board, a bit more expensive:
https://www.newegg.com/asus-prime-x670e-pro-wifi/p/13-119-587

The real difference is the chipset: X670E, which has more PCI-e v5.0 lanes
(up to 24) than the usual X670 (up to 8). This is generally not important
if you don’t need a super powerful next-gen video card. This is also a
board with built-in wireless capabilities.

About more pci-e slots; maybe you can find some board with those, but
generally people want more m.2 slots, so they sacrifice pci-e slots for
them. This one has 4, the one in your post has 3 m.2 slots.

As for the CPU, what I get from your posts is that you don’t necessarily
need a discrete card. This will also save you a pci-e slot for other uses.
So I think going for a real APU may serve you well:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/AMD-Ryzen-5-8500G-Desktop-Processor-Wraith-
Stealth-Cooler-Radeon-740M-Graphics-6-Core-Hexa-core-12-Threads-Up-5-0-
GHz-Max-Boost-16-MB-L3-Cache-65W-TD/5304036723

Advantages:
- Cheaper than a 7600x
- Much better integrated graphics
- Native support for USB4 (no USB4 in the back I/O, so this is not that
important)
- 256 GB memory support vs 128 GB for 7000 series.
Disadvantages:
- Slower than a 7600x
- No support for PCI-e v5, just PCI-e v4 (not a big problem really)
- Don’t know about “Linux/Gentoo” support level for those. Quite new
processors.

As an in-between solution you may get a plain 7600 (without the x). 7000
series processors also have integrated graphics (unless they have an *f*
at the end like the very popular 7500f), but not at the same level with an
APU like 8500G. For your future upgrade, AMD plans the next iteration,
9xxx CPUs, for the same socket. So getting a cheaper one now, and
upgrading to 9000 series may be a better idea. Those will be available
before the new year.

*NOTE*: Almost minutes after I wrote this, and before posting it, AMD
announced at Computex that the new gen will be available next month. So
maybe waiting for the new processors could be a good idea. Although at the
launch, both the new boards and cpus are probably going to be very
expensive. Still, most new mid-to-high end boards will now have USB4
ports.

As for the memory, the board above officially supports 192 GB. So you can
get a 96 GB kit:
https://www.newegg.com/crucial-96gb/p/N82E16820156382?Item=N82E16820156382

It’s slower than your choice, but not by much. Still nothing wrong with
the kit you’ve chosen. Don’t forget that even if the board supports higher
amounts, 7000 series are limited to 128 GB total. The 8000 APUs support
256 GB and probably the 9000 series will also do that.

*NOTE*: As they announced the new line, the memory support increased as I
expected, but to 192 GB for 9000 series, not to 256 GB as I predicted.

Also, with the new boards, don’t forget that systems now “train” memory.
You may need to wait quite some time after you hit the start button the
first time and any time you play with memory timings and frequencies.
https://www.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-memory/ddr5-memory-training

For the m.2 drive, I’d say go with something better. By better I mean more
capacity, and speed. While it says it’s PCI-e 5, it only uses 2 lanes in
this mode. Not a bad idea if you have a motherboard with limited PCI-e
lanes, yet it means it’s limited to PCI-e x4 speeds. And it is not that
fast either. Its max read speed is cited as 5000MB/s. Fast but not as fast
as some others. Also it doesn’t have a DRAM cache; which will limit its
performance. This one has 2 TB storage, a fast DRAM cache and is overall
faster:
https://www.newegg.com/solidigm-2tb-p44-pro/p/N82E16820318013

You don’t need a really powerful PSU. You can (of course depending on your
choice of graphic card/cards, and disks) do with a 400W easily. For future
upgradeability, maybe a 650W will be a better choice. A semi modular,
rated gold, 550W Seasonic PSU for $80 is not a bad option, either:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Seasonic-Focus-Series-550W-80-Gold-Power-
Supply/977405717

Just a few ideas. Long reply, may have some errors. Still, I hope it
helps.

*NOTE*: Again, waiting for the new processor and motherboards could be a
good idea.