On Sunday, 30 June 2024 10:36:16 BST Dale wrote:

> Here's a little update.  First, Kubuntu wiped my Gentoo install from
> being able to boot it.  I had to boot the Gentoo USB image, mount
> everything and reinstall grub/EFI stuff.  I got it back and now I can
> boot either one by selecting it in the BIOS.
>
> Second.  I decided to annoy the heck out of that thing.  I logged in
> over ssh and I kept restarting DM.  Took me several dozen tries but
> eventually I got KDE to come up, plasma and all.  I opened the Nvidia
> GUI and got it to save the xorg.conf file.  It's different but it has a
> lot of info now.

This is good!  :D

Edit the section below by adding the PreferredMode line:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "LG Electronics W2253"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 83.0
    VertRefresh     56.0 - 61.0
    Option         "PreferredMode"   "1920x1080_60.00"
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Save it, then check if you get a consistent result when you restart the DM, or
reboot.

If it is still playing up you need to show the Xorg.0.log while the monitor is
working with the nvidia driver, to see which Modeline it uses and add this in
the "Monitor" section too, above the "PreferredMode" entry.

If none of this works reliably, then you have to capture the EDID table while
the monitor is working, save it in a file and set nvidia-settings to use it
hereafter.  However, if you will NOT be using this monitor for much longer
this would be an exercise only to make you feel good for beating it into
submission!  LOL!