On Tuesday, 6 August 2024 08:16:04 BST Dale wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> As most know, I've built a new rig.  I've fixed a lot of things over the
> past couple weeks but I've got one thing that I just can't figure out.
> Dolphin is the default file manager and it works well enough.  It's
> better than the old Konqueror in most ways.  I wish it would do man
> pages tho.  Anyway, I have mine set to have the Folders panel open all
> the time on the left side.  I on occasion use places etc but only show
> those on the odd occasion I need them.  I like the Folder panel to show
> the root directory, root as in / where /boot, /home, /var and such is
> located.  I got it to show it the way I wanted it to be and then tell it
> to lock the location with a right click and lock the location.  Thing
> is, if I navigate to say /home/dale/Desktop, and anything inside that,
> it switches to what I'd call the /home/dale view.  I can't get to /mnt
> or /run/media for USB sticks and such because those are no longer showing.

You probably know this, the removable mounted or unmounted devices ought to
show on the side panel under 'Devices', where you can click to mount or
unmount them manually.

The /mnt or any other /* directories will show up both when you click the /
partition Label on the 'Devices' side panel section and when you click Root in
the 'Places' section.

> I've went through the Configure Dolphin settings, I've tried to right
> click in other areas and it just won't stay where I put it.  I've even
> tried closing all the Dolphin instances but one and get it set like I
> want and lock the panel.  As soon as I go into /home stuff, the panel
> switches again to /home/dale view.

It seems the top directory in the Folders side panel is dynamically adjusted
when you decent through its subdirectories.  Have you played with:

Settings > Configure Dolphin > Startup > Show on startup

to see if you can set / in there?  I don't know if this might affect it
permanently, rather than on startup, but its worth trying.

Alternatively, is the dolphin window and size of fonts/icons as large in this
desktop as it was in your old desktop?

> My old rig would stick to the /
> directory like I want.  However, I gave KDE a fresh start when I moved
> to the new rig.  The old config info was carried over from the KDE4
> version, maybe even KDE3.  So, this is a fresh start and I figure there
> is a setting somewhere that will fix this but I just can't figure out
> where that is set.

You can diff the old-new rig '~/.config/dolphirc' files to see if there is any
setting relevant to the side panel.

> Anyone have a idea how to make Dolphin lock the panel at / and it not
> switch to /home/dale view??  I'd think locking is enough but maybe the
> lock setting isn't working and it is a bug.  Maybe it is set somewhere
> else.  I just can't figure out if it is a bug, bad setting or something
> else.
>
> Thoughts??
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)
>
> P. S.  Liking the new rig.  Sometimes my main monitor blinks off and
> back on again.  I can't figure out why yet but I'm working on it.
> Swapped cables so far.  Waiting. Waiting. Waiting.  :-)

Probably some power Energy StarĀ® saving feature on the monitor?  :-/