Am Tue, Aug 06, 2024 at 06:02:47PM -0500 schrieb Dale:

> > The /mnt or any other /* directories will show up both when you click the /
> > partition Label on the 'Devices' side panel section and when you click Root
> > in
> > the 'Places' section.
> >

> True but I rarely use that panel, pane or whatever it is called.  Once I
> open /home and go a couple layers, the list gets VERY long.  It's so
> long that I tend to use the mouse pointer and the scroll bar to move.  A
> mouse wheel scroll would take a long time.

You can hold the shift key while turning the wheel, this will cause it to
scroll by page, not by three lines at a time. That’s a very nifty feature
since at least KDE 3 (that was when I started my “Linux career”).

> > It seems the top directory in the Folders side panel is dynamically
> > adjusted
> > when you decent through its subdirectories.  Have you played with:
> >
> > Settings > Configure Dolphin > Startup > Show on startup
> >
> > to see if you can set / in there?  I don't know if this might affect it
> > permanently, rather than on startup, but its worth trying.
> >
> > Alternatively, is the dolphin window and size of fonts/icons as large in
> > this
> > desktop as it was in your old desktop?
> >

> I tried that too.  It still does the /home/dale thing when I go into my
> home directory.  There has to be a setting somewhere since it works on
> my old rig.  I just can't find it.  I may boot the old rig and compare.
> Maybe when I enable/disable something some new settings show up somewhere.

First I wanted to write that I don’t really believe there is an option for
this. So you could simply go to home (with Alt+Home) and one level up with
Alt+Cursor, so the folder panel goes back to root mode.

And then I had one more look and simply clicked around a bit. I’ve never
really used the folder panel; I usually stick to the Places panel. I noticed
a suspicios menu item … and Heureka! Just right-click any folder in the
panel and uncheck “Limit to home directory”.

> If only.  I'd have to connect everything back up to the old rig so I can
> boot.  Right now, nothing plugged into it.  I need to do some things on
> it tho.  Drag out the old keyboard, spare mouse and various other
> things.  Hmmmm, where am I going to put a monitor tho?????

You could try headless with SSH, if it’s just moving files around that needs
to be done.

> >> Anyone have a idea how to make Dolphin lock the panel at / and it not
> >> switch to /home/dale view??  I'd think locking is enough but maybe the
> >> lock setting isn't working and it is a bug.

The “lock setting” is for locking the sidebar layout, not its content.

> >> P. S.  Liking the new rig.  Sometimes my main monitor blinks off and
> >> back on again.  I can't figure out why yet but I'm working on it.
> >> Swapped cables so far.  Waiting. Waiting. Waiting.  :-)
> > Probably some power Energy Star® saving feature on the monitor?  :-/
>

> Well, it does it when I'm actually doing things like typing a email or
> something.  Plus, most energy saving stuff is disabled.  It has to stay
> on so I can watch TV anyway.

Media players usually inhibit the suspend signal to the monitor anyways.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

What were peanuts used for before there was TV?