#insert <obligatory_ive_looked_everywhere_i_can_think_of.h>

I'm provisioning a new mail server, and have installed courier-imap with the related courier-authlib. hardened profile, system pretty fully up-to-date.

net-libs/courier-authlib-0.58 -berkdb* +crypt -debug +gdbm -ldap -mysql +pam -postgres net-mail/courier-imap-4.0.1 -berkdb* -debug -fam +gdbm -ipv6 +nls (-selinux)

I'm attempting (or intending) to use PAM authentication.

The usual IMAP testing trick of "telnet localhost 143" immediately (no chance to enter a command) returns. pam didn't emit any debug output ... I suspect it didn't get that far.

# telnet localhost 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* BYE imaplogin expected exactly two arguments.
Connection closed by foreign host.

In my attempts to research, most references I've found describe mixed environments in which the reporters were attempting to use courier-imap with someone else's authentication - I'm not.

I found this thread http://www.talkaboutsoftware.com/group/linux.gentoo.user/messages/63821.html that describes removal of mysql table based authentication. I've done this. No improvement. The thread itself reminds me somewhat of Fermat's Last Theorem - the gent in question says the suggestions helped lead him to a solution for his problem, but neglects to document what his solution actually was).

So there I am. Has anyone else had this problem, or have any insight into debugging it?

For the record, I've done tarball installations of courier on debian, successfully, even after hacking the code for a variety of reasons. I don't want to build this system that way, but I'm frankly scratching my head and feeling pretty incompetent. :/

thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

glen

# emerge --info
Portage 2.0.54 (hardened/x86/2.6, gcc-3.3.6, glibc-2.3.5-r2, 2.6.14-hardened-r5_g3 i686)
System uname: 2.6.14-hardened-r5_g3 i686 AMD Duron(tm) Processor
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.14
dev-lang/python:     2.3.5-r2, 2.4.2
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.12
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r6
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r1
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://ftp.ucsb.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/gentoo/ http://gentoo.chem.wisc.edu/gentoo/";
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage//packages/x86/"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage/"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.us.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="acpi apache2 berkdb bzip2 cdr crypt cups curl dlloader expat gdbm gmp gpm hardened jpeg libclamav lm_sensors mysql ncurses nls nptl nptlonly pam pcre perl pic png python readline samba ssl tcpd threads tiff truetype udev userlocales vhosts x86 xml2 zlib userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

# cat /etc/portage/package.use
net-fs/samba -mysql
net-libs/courier-authlib -berkdb -mysql
net-mail/courier-imap -berkdb