On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:39:02 +0100, Alexander Skwar wrote:

> > But far more chance of running out of space on /usr, /var or /opt
> > while
>
> Not really. And even if so - who cares? Make the
> fs larger, and you're set. Also, if those fs
> run out of space, it's not a DoS.

No, but it means you have to stop what you are doing to re-organise and
resize your partitions.

> > one of the others has plenty free.
>
> Well, no, since it's also bad advice to have one with
> plenty free :)

Could you point me in the direction of the program that magically tells
you how much space you'll need for each directory in a year's time :)

> > I prefer to have these three on the
> > same partition for a desktop,
>
> I don't. Everything on its own filesystem. I mean,
> why not? Resizing, and especially extending, is
> so very easy.

Extending is easy, but shrinking is not so easy or quick. If partition A
runs out of space while partition B has plenty, you have to shrink B's
filesystem before you can add space to A. That's time consuming,
especially if B uses XFS.

Just because a directory existing in /, it doesn't have to be on a
separate filesystem. Use whatever works for your needs, but be sensible,
too many partitions is almost as bad as too few, and creates extra work.

--
Neil Bothwick

In the begining, there was nothing.